Thursday, August 9, 2012

Sapporo Skiing (February 2012)

The next day in Sapporo, we decided to go skiing at Sapporo Teine. It's not a huge ski area, but it was great snow and easy access from our hotel. Sapporo was the host for the 1972 Winter Olympics, so there were some really great runs there. Chris even got to mogul it up!

This girl in the train station let me wear her really cool cat earmuffs :) 





We're the newbies! And this was Orlando's first ski ever :)

Cool view of the ocean & the city of Sapporo from the ski hill
Jill and I at the top of the hill.






 Here's where the Olympic torch was in 1972!


After a great day of skiing, we decided to head to the famous Sapporo Bier Garten for all you can eat and drink (mutton & beer). All I can say is Meat. Sweats. Yes, we definitely had our share of great meat and beer!







We were told before going to wear clothes that you don't care about...when you walk in, they give you trash bags to put coats, purses, etc inside. The smell of the cooking meat permeates everything!! We smelled like meat for at least 2 days I think. The mutton was surprisingly good, and the veggies were absolutely fantastic! I remember really liking the pumpkin. Julie and I even learned how to say pumpkin (かぼちゃ (kabocha)) and onion (たまねぎ (tamanegi)).

Orlando with the pre-cooked mutton and veggies

Always a Chris classic :)

Julie and I were pretty excited about dessert... cantelope Kit-Kats! 


Thankfully, none of us really drank too much that night...but we did have a meat hangover the next morning. We all went our separate ways on our last full day in Hokkaido. Jill and Lyndsey went back to Teine for some more skiing & snowboarding, Orlando, Julie, Trish and I went to Takino Snow World for some tubing and cross-country skiing, and Chris took a 2 hour bus ride to a sweet ski resort (Rusutsu) in the mountains! I don't think I can explain how excited Chris was to go to this resort. It has some of the best powder in the world! And anyone who knows Chris definitely understands his absolute love for skiing... esp powder and moguls. I don't think he could've had a better day! 


Chris was REALLY happy to be skiing in some amazing POW!
He thought their wax room was cool...

and the beer vending machine room was cool...

and there was even an amusement park too!

Some Chris tracks :)












I didn't take a camera to Takino Snow World b/c I knew that I would just be cross-country skiing...and Chris clearly needed it for his fun at Rusutsu!! I ended up skiing 9K that day!! It was really awesome. I forgot how peaceful it is to be in the woods alone in the winter. Sometimes I would even scare myself with the sound of my own skis behind me :) I was really excited to get in such a great workout... and find out that my back can 100% handle cross country skiing! Yay!!! :) We also did some tubing that day...and it was by far the coolest couple of runs I've ever done!

I did snap a few photos around Sapporo. This is the government building in central Sapporo. I just loved all of the snow around it!

Classic :)



The last day we were there, we only had a few hours before our flight, so we decided to check out the Winter Sports Museum. 
From the top of the ski jump
The record jump distance  


It was a cold ride up & down! 

Inside the museum... more Heaven for Chris!



Chris remembers these F17s from his high school days and now they're in a museum!









Hasta luego Sapporo!
Oh, one last photo... this was our plane. Only in Japan :)



No comments:

Post a Comment